Facts About Mexico City:
- Population of 22 million in 1,200 square miles. Australia covers 3 million miles and has a population of 23 million.
- The amount of unbelievers is equal to the entire populations of Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona while the amount of believers is equal to the population of San Francisco.
- Largely Catholic, Mexico City is home to many other religions including: Judaism, Buddhism, Mormonism, and the occult- such as the worship of Saint Death (where Dia de los Muertos is derived).
- Mexico City is referred to as D.F. D.F. stand for Distrito Federal. In English this means Federal District because it is the country’s capital city.
- Catholicism in Mexico City is highly syncretic. Many Catholics combine their faith with ancient Aztec beliefs.
- The Aztec city of Tenochtitlan (modern day Mexico City) was built on the island of Texcoco in the middle of an ancient lake. Since it was established in a lake, the ground is soft and Mexico City is constantly sinking. It is very noticeable in some areas as large buildings are slanted and some buildings are separating from one another.
- It is the 8th richest city in the world and is home to the richest man in the world, Carlos Slim.
- It’s safer than the American media makes it out to be.
- Has a Sam’s Club, Walmart, Costco, Gold’s Gym, and even a Goodwill.
Click on this picture for a taste of Mexico City!